The government is being urged to do more to reduce the number of road crashes across the country after a report revealed that they cost the economy in excess of $30 billion every year1. There are many other eye-opening statistics, too.
- Up to 30% of road crashes2 are as a result of drivers being distracted or tired.
- Fatigue has a huge impact on a driver’s ability to drive safely. In fact, it’s been said that being tired behind the wheel is similar to the effect of drinking and driving. Research shows that being awake for 17 hours has the same effect on your driving as a Blood Alcohol Concentration
- Distracted drivers are also a risk to other road users and put themselves and their passengers at risk when their attention is taken away from the road ahead. Mobile phones are the worst contenders when it comes to driver distraction. Texting while driving poses a massive risk, yet 57% of drivers are still regular offenders4.
Looking to technology for the cure
If you care about the safety of your fleet and need to manage fatigue or distraction among your drivers, then the latest white paper from MiX Telematics is for you. ‘Fighting driver fatigue and distraction across fleets’ is free to download and will explore:
- What causes fatigue
- How technology can be used to reduce driver fatigue and distraction risks
- A real account from a MiX Telematics customer who successful used telematics to drastically reduce the number of incidents relating to fatigue and distraction in their fleet.
Download the white paper now!